Marshal Breadner

406 Wing came into being in 1948. Its charter was presented May 5th, 1949 by the late Air Marshal Breadner at a gala dinner-dance. Charter members were: Cliff Alger, DFC; George Angus, DFC;

For a number of years, the Wing had to hold meetings in rented quarters, but finally, the present premises were obtained. The old building was in grim shape physically, but through the "blood, sweat and tears", of a great many members, it was transformed into the fine facility we have now. The next step was the formation of the Ladies' Auxiliary with their own charter, and conversion of the basement into a cosy "rec room".

547 Cadets

The primary motive for forming the Wing was the sponsorship of No. 547 Air Cadet Squadron, and 406 has remained behind this project, turning out good citizens from the ranks of the Squadron.

In 1984, the "I-Dent-A-Kid" programident A Kid was added to our sponsorship as was the National "Organ Donor" program. To date, over 12,000 children have been finger-printed and issued with the "Ident-A-Kid" passport. Organ Donor ProgramAssistance to charitable organizations is also one of the Squadron's prime objectives.

 

Battle Of Britain Parade

Battle of Britain parades have seen honour and tribute paid to "The Few", who, in the skies above England in the latter part of 1940, held off the Nazi attackers. Our Squadron cherishes their memory, and pays proper tribute every September.

RoundelRoundel Nights, celebrating the birthday of the RCAF, have been a lot of fun down through the years. They are the social highlight of the year.

Our membership has continued to grow, with sons and daughters of ex-RCAF vets becoming members and a considerable number of Canadian Forces personnel from 22 Wing, North Bay also on our membership roster. These, along with a number of Associate Members and the "Old Vets", make this a very active and innovative Squadron. As in the past, the spirit of comradeship is the glue that keeps the Squadron going. The 406 Squadron has a large number of its members who are veterans of WW II service; however, there are almost as many with more recent service.
Until 1 July 1994, the 406 Wing was a part of the country-wide Royal Canadian Air Force Association. In 1993, however, a national decision was taken to delete the title RCAF from the name and have the national entity called the Air Force Association of Canada. The 406 members voted by an 82% majority, to continue our operations under the Royal Canadian Air Force Alliance designation.